Consider Joining our Growing Team
Senior Web Application Developer, Committed to Sustainability
We are adding to our team of developers designing and building applications in Ruby on Rails. You will be working in small teams with our clients, project managers, UI/Interaction designers and front-end developers.
Everyday challenges include:
- Lead and/or be led in small teams of developers with pull requests, code review, and staging/production deployments
- Provide estimates, dependencies, and timing feedback in collaboration with the PM to manage schedule and budget
- Design for and work securely with confidential data subject to HIPAA, GDPR and other regulations. e.g. encryption, audit and change logs
- Translate business models into designs for primary data stores, e.g: PostgreSQL, S3
- Build intuitive UIs to apply consistent, well-validated updates
- Learn quickly to interact with various document formats, SHP, HL7, X12 EDI, undocumented client provided data
- Build and manage background jobs to efficiently process large datasets in a variety of formats and protocols
- Design and maintain automated test and code quality assessments providing appropriate coverage based on risk. e.g. TravisCI minitest, rspec, Capybara, simplecov, bundleaudit
- Provide or support non-automated workflow acceptance and user testing.
- APIs and protocols both new and old. e.g. Oauth2, Stripe, SAP
- Anticipate and handle unexpected inputs, race conditions, transient network errors and rate limits
- Deploy in a variety of environments. e.g. Bare-metal, AWS EC2, Docker
- Build intuitive search and document stores: e.g. ElasticSearch, Redis
- Generate statistically relevant test/demo datasets: e.g. factorybot
- Design, build, and document public-facing APIs
Our project teams are usually small and are built around a project manager and technical lead for the project with 2-4 additional developers as needed. At any given time you should expect to be working on from 1 to 3 different teams. Depending on skill match, interest and scheduling you may lead some projects and be a team member on others. We primarily use Pivotal Tracker, Github, Slack, and Google Docs. Other tools are used as needed. Projects run for months or years and typically have high-level deliverables planned out in 3-6 month cycles with development releases on 1-2 week cycles.
We offer a competitive salary with great benefits, including 100% of health insurance, five weeks paid time off, retirement benefits, and more.
We think of the internet as a societal nervous system—a growing global network of awareness and intelligence that we must put to good use. Helping to transform the market requires software skills, analytical experience, business sophistication, and a genuine commitment to ethics and social responsibility. Incorporated in 2000, Green River’s team of software engineers collaborates with clients including Starbucks, US Green Building Council, NBCUniversal, B Lab, and many others. Our primary offices are in scenic Brattleboro, Vermont and we have remote staff living and working around the country.
Our projects offer challenges in developing complex scalable algorithms and well-designed responsive user interfaces. We regularly evolve our approach to software development as new best practices emerge. Together, we’ve created a collaborative atmosphere in our company—shaping together the kind of work and lifestyle we want and fostering career paths through mentorship. This has resulted in exceptionally long-term relationships with both our clients and our staff.
As the population rises, the climate changes, and critical resource thresholds are reached and exceeded, it’s becoming increasingly important for information systems to help us obtain and interpret data about people and organizations, in terms of both economic benefits and human and ecological health. This vision of the future is what drives us at Green River.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and links to recent work with a description of your role in that work to email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you.
Green River is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with our beliefs and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Green River will not discriminate against employees or clients based on race, creed, color, ethnic origin, nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or disability.
Get in Touch
167 Main Street, Suite 103
Brattleboro, VT 05301